Saturday, January 09, 2010

Directions are Important.

I just want the official record to show that this is the best day ever.  For reasons that will become clear as you continue to read.  Earlier in the week, Kate and I decided to venture to the DMV today, so that I could get my parking permit and Kate could get temporary tags.  Last night, we went to a happy hour for Meg's birthday at this really cool bar.  As we were at happy hour, Kate reminded me of said journey, which was totally on my radar for the the record, and she's like "What's the latest you can get up and still be ready to go by 9?" So I decided to get up at 8:30 and set my alarm accordingly when I got home.  (Side note:  best part of last night?  Meg's awesome dance moves.)  

As I was gathering items for the DMV this morning, I realized that I had to go to my car to get my registration and I was getting worried that Kate hates me because I forgot to do all of this ahead of time.  So I head out to my car and then I realize that I don't really want to have to take the metro because the DMV is a yellow/green stop, so we have to go to Chinatown and transfer and that's just too much effort for a Saturday morning.  So I called Kate and asked how she felt about driving.  Hence we decide to drive.  Kate has already been to the DMV and tells me the address is 95 M Street NORTHWEST.  Based on your superior deductive reasoning skills, I'm sure you can guess that the DMV is most certainly NOT located at 95 M Street NW.  It is, in fact, located at 95 M Street SOUTHWEST.  Approximately 45 minutes into our drive, we called Kate's parents to google map us directions (Reason #51037538439 I need an iPhone.)  Once we righted the ship, it took us like 10 minutes to get there.  

We find a pretty sweet parking spot and then we head inside, get numbers, and proceed to wait.  As it gets closer to my number, I decide to assemble all the documents I need, so they're all ready for when my numero gets called.  (Now is an important time to remember that a) I went to the bar last night, and b) I hurried out of my apartment because I thought Kate was going to hate me.)  I go to flip open my wallet and pull out my license and it's NOT THERE!  FML.  And there wasn't enough time to go home and get it or for Libb to bring it down before my number was called.  I was so irritated with myself.  I literally wanted to punch myself in the face.  It was so ridiculous.  So when my number gets called, I decide I'll just head back and tell them to skip to the next person.  So they call me (A 073) and I head back to counter 15.  I get back there and I'm like "I'm sure you can't help me, and that's totally fine, this is 100% my fault, but I just realized as I was getting all my stuff together that I don't have my driver's license.  We got all the way down here and waited and I just realized".  At the moment when I said "I don't have my license", the girl's mouth literally dropped open.  So she asked what I needed and I told her a temporary resident parking permit and she's like, "Oh, no problem!"  It was freaking AMAZING.  She is the bomb.  I was so excited; I thought I was going to have to go all the way back down to the southwest on Friday with Kate it taken care of.  It was so great.  Hence, we have dubbed today the BEST DAY EVER.

We further increased today's "best day ever" value by heading to Chipotle for lunch, as we were both super hungry, and tomorrow we're having a team brunch!  And today is football Saturday.  Who-dey!  And tomorrow we're going to Eastern Market!  And I get to bake a cake!  And go to book club!  

No comments: