Last night, Libb and I went to a premiere of Where the Wild Things Are in Cleveland Park. It was hosted by the National Wildlife Foundation to promote their new "Be Out There" campaign, which encourages kids and families to play more outside. I think it's totally legit and something I'm behind. You can find more information about the Be Out There campaign (and ways to be out there yourself) here: http://www.nwf.org/beoutthere/?&utm_source=BOT_WTWTA&utm_medium=Website_NWFHomepage&utm_term=20091001&utm_content=Web_Ad&utm_campaign=BOT_Homepage. While this is something I'm totally behind, I have to wonder if anyone at the NWF screened Where the Wild Things Are before they partnered with Warner Bros on the release of this movie. I say this for three reasons, two of which are relevant to NWF. One of which is just personal.
1. In the movie, Max and the Wild Things basically clear cut the land to build their giant fort. And I'm pretty sure clear cutting is NOT something the NWF supports. Just a guess. They also rip out trees and throw rocks at owls. I have to imagine that when the NWF is encouraging kids to be outside, these are not the sort of activities in which they want the children to engage. I have to believe they're more interested in stewardship, and fostering a respect for nature.
2. At one point in the movie, the main Wild Thing, Carol, gets in a fight with another Wild Thing who is a giant bird and rips off the arm of the bird Wild Thing. (It actually gets replaced with a stick arm, which is pretty hilarious.) However, I'm also pretty sure that the NWF also does not want to encourage children to rip the wings off of birds. Or really any creature in nature. I think they probably want all animals to return all their flanges. I'm just not really sure this was the best "respect nature because it's awesome" movie choice.
3. This is the personal reason. Although I will willingly admit that it's been years since I read Where the Wild Things Are, it is one of my all-time favorite books. I think it's a story about imagination, loving your family, and understanding that while being the most wild thing of all is pretty flippin' sweet, after a while you just want to be with your mom. (And maybe in the future you should not threaten to eat her up.) I have to say that the book is definitely better. It always is. The book is always better than the movie. The story loosely follows the book, but what failed to sell me was the artistic license they took while Max was king of the Wild Things. I mean, obviously there was going to have to be quite a bit fabricated there because there's not much in the book; however, I got the feeling that they introduced too many relationships and subplots and didn't really tie them all up at the end. However, in defense of the movie, I will also say that when he decides to leave at the end and he's in his boat saying good-bye to all the Wild Things I did almost cry. I obviously didn't, but I'm just saying. It was touching. I have mixed emotions about recommending the movie; I think I would rent it.
What didn't disappoint last night was the UC game. And Zach Collaros's super sick 75 yard touchdown run. Also, can we just discuss how I always want to mispronounce his name? All my years of Spanish have ingrained the double l as a y sound and I really want to do that to his name. I won't. But I'm just saying. I always want to.
And last, but certainly not least, I have to admit how much I secretly love two things.
1. Downloading music on iTunes. I always feel like I'm not paying for it. I mean, I know I am, but since it charges you directly and you don't have to fill out any information it doesn't feel like you have to pay. Which can be dangerous.
2. Also, I secretly really like French music. I don't know why, but I'm a sucker for a good French tune. Which is ironic, because I don't even know what they're saying. I mean, I can pick out a word here and there, like "dance" and "winter", but seriously? No idea. I could be listening to anything, like xenophobic songs of rage and anger, and I really wouldn't know the difference.
Late note. I promise this time. This is the third consecutive day of rain. And it's set to rain tomorrow and Sunday as well. I'm concerned the sun may have fallen out of the sky and that we're on our way to the apocalypse. So I'll definitely keep you updated on that, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment