Thursday, October 08, 2009

Being well-informed is really time consuming.

I recently discovered Google Reader, which has been a great addition to my mornings.  It has allowed me to leisurely drink the insane amount of coffee that I like to consume in the morning (and will no longer be able to once I am gainfully employed) and catch up on the events on the world.  However, as I subscribe to BBC, NPR, and the New York Times via Google Reader, it can take some time to get through all the world events in the morning.  Here are some things I have noticed in my attempts to become a more well-informed global citizen.


1.  BBC.com obviously uses British vernacular.  Duh.  It makes complete and total sense.  The one thing that keeps tripping me up?  Their use of the word "row" to signify an argument.  I mean, I am totally aware of  the use of that word with that meaning in the Queen's English; however, every time I read it in a headline on BBC.com I think of a long line of objects, like a row of chairs or ducks or whatever.  So I always have to read headlines about arguments like two or three times before I understand what's going on.  I'm optimistic that I'll soon be rid of this problem; however, until then headlines like "French minister in 'boy sex' row" will continue to confuse me.  


2.  I think that whoever named the situation room is awesome.  I mean, my understanding is that the White House situation room is basically a super pimped and super secure conference room, but instead of just calling it a conference room it's called the situation room.  Which automatically makes anything that happens there more serious and legit.  I mean, can you imagine Michael Scott calling for meetings in the situation room instead of the conference room?  That would actually be pretty sweet.  Maybe we can make that happen.  


3.  So far, this is the best article I have read on Google Reader: "Lowly Females Pick Mediocre Mates".  You can read the article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8293628.stm.  It's so great.  It's about how lowly girl birds pick equally sucky boy birds and that equally matched pairs (low--low) reproduce faster than mismatched pairs of birds (low--high).  I feel I may have cracked the code to the dating world.  Expect more updates on that.  


In non-news related news, Team 304 is officially in biznass.  (I feel that perhaps a well placed se buyay is in order?)  We have all finally moved in, and last night we had our first team dinner.  True, it was just frozen pizza and budget wine, but that's totally a legitimate meal slash celebratory dinner when two of the three team residents are unemployed.  Per my penchant for getting dressed up and drinking, we'll have a real meal at some point in the future.  And that point will be when Kate and I are employed.  Which I'm hoping will be quite soon.      

No comments: