Sunday, September 27, 2009

Just call me Noah.

I'm really glad the rain ceased overnight, because I was starting to think that I was going to have to blow off all my plans for today to build an ark, float it down Connecticut to the National Zoo, grab two of every animal (snakes excluded.  obviously.), and wait out the torrential downpour.  Thankfully the rain is done so I can carry on with my regularly-scheduled Sunday plans.


Yesterday, I went to the National Book Festival with Meg, which was really cool.  (Great job, Library of Congress!)  Despite the rain, we had a really good time.  It's funny, because I checked the LoC's website ahead of time to get the dirt on said festival, and as I was telling Meg yesterday, their website was actually a really good description of what the festival was about, but when I was looking at the website I couldn't wrap my head around how so simple an event could be such a successful festival.  (Side-note:  I'm pretty sure this is when the woman in front of us in the book signing line decided I was a total idiot.)  It just didn't seem possible that such a simple event could be so great.  But it was.  And the rain held off until we were waiting in line for book signings, which was both good and bad.  I was glad it was later in the day; however, it also sucked to have to wait in super long lines in really steady rain.  I would also like to thank Borders for giving away freaking awesome umbrellas yesterday.  (Further side-note:  I was horrified at the amount of people who, despite the prediction of rain, did not have raincoats, ponchos, or umbrellas.  Chuckleheads.)  Meg and I had raincoats, but it had rained so hard and for so long that everything was just getting wet--shoes, jeans, hair was getting crazy.  So I sent Meg to get plastic bags so that our books wouldn't get ruined; they were inside canvas bags, but they were getting wet, per previously mentioned torrential downpour.  We came up short on plastic bags, but we did snag an umbrella and I'm not joking at all when I say it was the best umbrella ever.  It was automatic (because yes, at 25, I'm still too scared to use the ones you have to push down.  I pinched myself one too many times using those bitches.), big enough for both of us to stand underneath, but  not one of those giant golf umbrellas, which is usually what you have to use to get two people under the umbrella.  All in all it was a very enjoyable day, even with the rain.  However, we did make a list of how to improve our experience slash use of time for next year.  At which time the National Book Festival will be my bitch. 


In addition to dazzling you with tales of events hosted by the Library of Congress, I would like to share two lessons I have had to learn via experience in my short time in Das Capital.
1.  If you even have to pee a little bit before you leave somewhere, pee before you leave because inevitably you will have to wait for the metro, take the metro, and walk home.  Which takes more time than it sounds like.  And then you'll have to sprint down Connecticut because that's how bad you have to pee and you look like a giant spaz.  So lesson learned.
2.  Shoes that were comfortable for all day at home aren't necessarily comfortable for all day in Das Capital when you're walking all over the place.
     Lesson 2b.  Budget band-aids are not worth the money saved if they are impossible to get into.  I was balancing in a super awkward position to put band-aids on blisters yesterday and I couldn't get into my damn band-aids.  In the future, I will throw down the extra dollars for actual Band-Aids.  Which always reliably open where they should and do not make you balance in an awkward position for so long you think you might fall over.  


Today is Sunday, which means all of my favorite things are falling into the same day:  football (who-dey!), brunch, and farmers' market.  This bar, the DC Jungle (well, every other day it's called The Bottom Line, but on Sunday's it's the DC Jungle) is so freaking great.  And so much like Cincinnati that I ran into people from high school last week.  It is my greatest hope that there will be some excellent costumes this week; I figure the chances are high.  It is Steelers week after all.  Last week some guy wore a Roethlisberger jersey and was walking towards the back of the bar and people actually booed him and then someone had the bright idea to yell "Fuck the Steelers!", which obviously caught on like wildfire.  Ah, sports rivalries.  This is why football season is the greatest season of the year.  

No comments: