Thursday, September 24, 2009

Blogging is strenuous.

Guys, I don't know if you know this, but blogging is really strenuous.  I've been counting blogging as my cardio since I moved, per the strenuous nature of said activity.  :)


Today has, so far, been a wash.  I'm expecting big things to transpire between 3:42 p.m. and The Office, though.  I've been doing stupid, but necessary, things all day.  Like calling to get renters' insurance.  "Max" at Allstate was very helpful to me today.  (His name is in quotes, because his name was clearly NOT Max.  Per the Indian accent.)  In any case, he assures me that should my things be stolen, lost in a fire, or should someone fall down my (non-existent) stairs, Allstate will gladly replace them for me.  My greatest fear is that my quick tally of items I love and would want to replace was too low and should any of those tragic fates befall me I'll only be able to get certain things replaced.  We'll cross that bridge when we come to it though.


In other news today, Bert phoned this morning while I was watching 30 Rock.  (My 3 months of funemployment have led to very leisurely mornings, and almost always include an episode of something; now that I have non-sports viewing roommates it's usually not SportsCenter.  Bumola.  But it's hard to get upset about an episode of 30 Rock.)  In any case, Bert phoned during said viewing and told me that he thinks I really should use the word "dazzle" in my next cover letter because "that's almost definitely something they haven't seen before you and you don't know if you don't try".  The jury's still out on whether or not I'm actually going to do that.  The job I'm currently working on is one I really want and I'm a little scared to tell them to call me for an interview so that I can "dazzle" them.  I sort of think that may be a one way ticket into the trash.  


And last, but certainly, not least on my list of adventures from the last 24 hours was yesterday when I went to set up a bank account here in Das Capital.  So, as previously mentioned, any venture requires a ridiculous amount of recon, so I googled directions to walk to the bank and then set out on my way.  At 4 p.m.  On a day with temps in the mid 80s and humidity of 8,000%.  So gross.  And so sticky.  And so flippin' hot.  It's a sunny walk.  And I always get worried I'm going to get lost.  (I also walked into a bush slash tree on the way there, but that's a different story.)  So I finally get to the bank, a hot, sticky, semi-stressful 20 minute walk later and I look hot and sticky and semi-stressed.  I walk in and this very friendly lady asked me what needs the bank could satisfy for me today.  I told her I needed to open an account, so instead of helping me, she sends the hot, sticky version of myself to Cute Bank Boy.  (Yes, that is his official name.  It's on his card.)  The best part of the interaction between myself and Cute Bank Boy was when he was like "So, what brings you here from (pause to look at my license) Ohio?"  Me:  "Oh, I just moved here."  Cute Bank Boy:  "Like for a job?"  Me:  "No.  I just moved here.  On a whim."  Cute Bank Boy:  "That's exciting.  I wish I could do something like that."  And then we made out in the middle of the bank.  Just kidding!  That's what happened in my version of the story.  In real life, I just loved him a little more for being the first person to hear that I just moved for fun, with no job prospects, no friends, or anything and not thinking I was a total wackadoo.  

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Just now getting to the Blog and totally enjoying it. I have chuckled my way from start to finish. Good luck on the job search!!! Saw Leah today at the Hyde Park Arts Show. It was sunny but cool. As usual your mother and Michelle kept the economy booming!!!
Love you and miss your smiling face at jazzy!