Monday, August 16, 2010

Operation Disaster in the Kitchen

Yep.  Apparently I had some bad karmic energy coming my way, which resulted in odd things happening both times I baked this weekend.  

On Friday, I was trying a new cupcake recipe (nothing exciting--just regular yellow cake instead of chocolate), but I was in a hurry.  I had 87 minutes to bake and ice cupcakes and take a shower and get ready for the grill-out.  (Guess who was late?)  So as I'm running around like a nut, I turn on my mixer to make frosting, a key ingredient of which is powdered sugar.  I don't know how many times I'll have to make the same freaking mistake before I get it through my head, but of course powdered sugar blew all over the place when I turned on the mixer.  So that was fantastic.  I also thought the best solution was not to turn off the mixer, but rather to put my arms around the top of the mixer, in an effort to extend the depth of said machine.  I'm not really sure how that worked as a strategy.  I would say positively, but really that's just because the powdered sugar ended up on me instead of on the floor/carpet/counter.  It's cool.  So that whole situation was irritating, but not surprising because I've done that before.  What was really annoying as crap was yesterday.

So the boy had requested some cookies and I didn't really have too terribly much on the agenda yesterday since classes don't start until the 30th, so I was happy to oblige.  Plus, then I figured that I could take cookies on my first day of teacher work week and then people would like me.  (I wish I was joking, but that was my actual logic in that situation.)  So I'm getting all my ingredients in my mixer again, and I lower the top, lock it in, turn on my mixer--which, for the record, I only use on the lowest setting--and there was an explosion of sugar, vanilla, and butter in the kitchen!  To be fair, I might be using the term explosion loosely, but there were definitely cookie ingredients in places in the kitchen that they did not belong.  I also learned yesterday that sugar is a tricky bastard, because not only did I wipe everything off with multiple wet paper towels, but in the end I had to vacuum the rug in the kitchen AND Swiffer WetJet the entire kitchen to get rid of that grainy sugar feeling.  It was a debacle.  One that I am not very interested in repeating.

No comments: