So, as I learned during summer session, this next year is going to completely kick my ass. I'm going to make every effort to update the blog on a consistent basis, but it's hard when things get so crazy. So that's my disclaimer for the 2010/2011 school year.
I can't believe how quickly the past 6 weeks have gone. I know it's only August 10th, but I really feel like Labor Day is next week.
I don't know how much everyone knows about my program, but in addition to taking classes at GW, I teach 4 days a week in a classroom in Northeast DC. I don't know how everyone knows about teaching in Northeast DC, but it's definitely not a place you want to walk alone at night. It's not so bad as OTR...maybe more like Short Vine and Clifton? The point is danger may or may not be lurking on a pretty consistent basis. I'm telling you all of this because next Tuesday I have to do a community mapping activity in which we have to walk around Trinidad (the neighborhood in NE where my school is) and talk to residents, businesspeople, etc. My professor alleges that this activity is always well received by community residents. I am still skeptical. My overall point in all of this is maybe if my blog doesn't get updated next Tuesday or Wednesday you call me to make sure I'm still alive?
Also, while I'm thinking of educational things and I'm on my soapbox, I'm going to take 30 seconds of everyone's time and ask that you see Waiting for Superman when it comes out on September 24th. (Don't worry--I'll remind you.) Watch the trailer here. It's a documentary about public education. I know, I know. I hear the groaning. I'm a total nerd and this is one of my soapbox issues. Just indulge me. At least you're living 800 miles away from me so you don't have to listen to me talk about it afterward. (There's always a silver lining, right?)
The worst part about irregular blogging is that by the time I finally sit down to do it I can never remember what all my hilarious anecdotes were going to be. So it sounds like you're going to have to settle with a semi-serious blog for today. I'll flex my humor muscle tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment