So I remember being in math every year in school and every year they told us how zero was the smallest number ever. And then I remember the one year where I learned about negative numbers. It totally f----d my shit up. But I've been thinking about this basically every day this week because I've been kicking third grade math's ass and we (somewhat) frequently discuss how zero is the smallest number ever. At which point I always think that in four years someone is going to totally rock their world. Those poor kids don't even know what's coming.
Here are two other true stories that I think everyone can appreciate.
1. Grad school is bring out the complete and total nerd in me. I'm always reading articles and highlighting and taking notes. I've declined weeknight social events to do homework. I'm even working ahead. Because I'm such a nerd.
2. Today we had to do a pre-test in math class to gauge where everyone is at the beginning of summer school. So since students had a somewhat significant chunk of time to take their test, we had stacks of Zoo Books on each table for them to read and look over if they finished their test early. So after we went to L.A. (I travel with the kids) I went back to math and sharpened pencils and set up for the next day. So as I'm pulling new sheets off for tomorrow's lesson I glance over that the stack of Zoo Books on the table table and guess what issue is on top? The freaking snake issue! I literally jumped out of my skin and then had to cover the front picture with an old piece of paper. I'm glad there were no students in the room at the time because that was pretty embarrassing. (This is also an appropriate place to share the fact that the boy thinks he will be able to get my into the reptile house at the National Zoo and that I will willingly embrace watching a snake-ridden movie such as Indiana Jones. Don't worry--I have firmly put my foot down on both counts.)
That's pretty much all that has transpired in my life this week. See you Friday!
No comments:
Post a Comment