Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ah, the Queen City. My first love.

Ah, Cincinnati.  If I had more time right now I would write you a love sonnet.  But I fear that said composition would make me late for Jaime's baby shower.  And that would be a tragedy that I am not willing to commit.  I've been doing a really good job of being on time today and I don't want to ruin my streak.  


So I got home on Thursday morning, and have been soaking up all the delights of Oakley and Cincinnati for the past 2 days.  However, I will say that I packed for DC weather. Not Cincinnati weather.  I forgot what a saucy minx March weather in Cincinnati is.  (Don't worry; I've already given myself eyes of judgement for having such a short term memory.)  I've also been doing a really good job of catching up with people that I don't get to see very often when I'm home, which is exciting and fantastic.  I feel like visits home now that I live away are what it must be like to see an ex after you've broken up but you're still friends.  You get excited, but it secretly vindicates your choice.  Not that I would EVER hate on Cincinnati.  Don't get me wrong.  I just love my tiny Cincinnati doses.  It's always exactly right; the Goldilocks amount of time at home, if you will.  But what I've noticed now more than any other time since I've been home is that I expect things to be the way they are in DC.  Like in DC if you hesitate AT ALL at a green light the car behind you will certainly honk at you.  Guaranteed.  100% of the time.  It is the only possible outcome.  No one takes that shit lying down in DC.  However, here in the Queen City you can linger for like 15 seconds before anyone gets angry.  And even then a honk is only a 50/50 chance and it's more of a courtesy "open your eyes" honk, rather than the angry "why are you such a f--ing moron?" honk you find in Das Capital.  (Further evidence that people really are friendlier in the Midwest.) 


Also, this is true, and slightly embarrassing.  The embarrassing part is that it happens every time I come home; not that it happens.  So in DC I always get really excited when I see Ohio license plates.  Because I secretly like to believe two things.  1. That everyone from Ohio is fantastic.  And 2. That they're secretly just as excited as I am to be from the heart of it all.  I am fully aware that these things are not always true.  I just like to pretend.  (Because apparently I never outgrew imagination games.)  So the part that's slightly embarrassing is that I always get really excited at the plethora of Ohio license plates I see when I first get into Ohio.  And then after about a minute I realize I'm back in Ohio and the sheer volume of Ohio license plates should neither be shocking nor exciting.  Yet I have literally been thrilled by their presence at the Dayton airport, the Columbus airport, and when I was driving home a few days ago on 70W in Ohio. I'm freaking brilliant.  

No comments: