As I'm sure you all know, I like to spend time outside in the summer. The biggest drawback to summertime in the outside (not counting humidity) is mosquitoes. Right now, I feel like a giant mosquito bite. The current source of my mosquito problem is that Michael has a lovely patio with a delightful grill and I really enjoy sitting outside on said patio, especially in the evening. Which is prime mosquito time.
Last night, Michael was grilling dinner and I was enjoying a glass of wine and doing a baby Sudoku on the patio and I was thinking to myself, "If I could choose to eliminate snakes or mosquitoes from the planet, what would I choose?" And I think despite the fact that I absolutely revile snakes with every fiber of my whole self, I think I would get rid of mosquitoes and here's why: firstly, despite the fact that I hate, hate, hate snakes I hardly ever encounter them in my day to day life. I think they're repulsive and it's weird that they don't have legs, but the last time I saw a real, live snake was when I was hiking with my family in San Diego when I was like 17, whereas the last time I saw a real, live mosquito was yesterday. Those bastards. And snake bites don't wake me up in the middle of the night when they itch, whereas mosquito bites do. Also, I remember all those things my dad used to tell me when I was a kid about snakes perform really crucial roles in ecosystems and food chains, and I generally feel positively about ecosystems and food chains. So let's be clear: snakes and mosquitoes are both types of animals that I feel negatively about, but if one had to go it would definitely be mosquitoes. Ugh, mosquitoes!
No comments:
Post a Comment