Tuesday, September 07, 2010

A Tale of Two DeAndres

So it's been a while since I've had a story to share (slash the time to write it out), but this one is so good that I have to find the time.

Today at recess there was apparently a lot of fruckus, so, naturally, the children were worked up when they came into the cafeteria.  One of my favorites boys, who I love, love, love was having a bit of a struggle with self-control today at lunch and I gave him a few reminders, but really, everyone was struggling at lunch so I was really trying not to harp.  However, at the end of lunch one of the girls came up to me and said that DeAndre burped in her face.  Which is not tight.  For the record.  So anyway, I walked back over to the table and DeAndre was hiding behind his friend and I said, "DeAndre, come here.  I just want to talk to you."  So we walk over to the bleachers on the side of the cafeteria and have a seat.

Because I myself have lots of thoughts and like to verbalize them I can appreciate the talkers.  So before I even asked DeAndre about the offense, I asked him about his weekend and what the most fun part was.  (It was getting new shoes and playing in his football game, in case you were wondering.)  So then we finally get around to talking about the incident.  Of course.  And this is basically what I said.  "DeAndre, I really like you.  I think you're a very smart boy.  But I have to tell you something.  I see two DeAndres.  There's one DeAndre that I see who has really good ideas and shares those good ideas in class, and follows the rules, and helps other students in our class.  Then I see a DeAndre sometimes who fools around with the boys at lunch, and laughs when other students lick their food, and burps in girl's faces."  At which point young and adorable DeAndre interrupts me and says "That second DeAndre is mean!!"  (Ahhh, children.)  This is the point in the story where I have to turn to young, naive, DeAndre and say "They're both you!".  To which the only logical response is "Miss Elsener, you tricked me!"  That was totally an accidental trick; I really didn't think he would think I was talking about two separate people.  However, it was a trick that really worked out in my favor.  I win life. 

No comments: