Monday, September 19, 2011

Yikes

Sometimes I think about how difficult it is to teach 27 first graders day in and day out.  Then I think about the things that my kids live with every day.  Like how last week a mother was fatally stabbed in the alley behind the school after picking up her 4 children.  Or today how we had to keep our kids inside 15 extra minutes at the end of the day because shots were fired around the corner from the school.  I just keep thinking--if it's difficult to teach here, what is it like to live this life constantly?  


On a more positive note, I went to Lakeshore Learning, a teacher supply store way the f out in Virginia.  I got way lots of stuff for the children.  Except that they didn't have a number line.  How can you be out of number lines?!  AND the girl said that they're not getting more for a few weeks.  What the heck?  I guess my first graders are counting on their fingers for a while longer...No, we actually have a 100s chart.  So they're straight.

No comments: