So as you may or may not know, I just spent 5 days in Milwaukee with young Michael for his friends' nuptials. Apparently, we thought it would be a good idea to jam everything Milwaukee has to offer into 5 days, despite the fact that we're returning in 2 months. It's possible that we've had better ideas.
It's also possible that I'm the world's biggest idiot. As Michael and I were taking the escalator up to the concourse to check in I somehow either tripped or kicked the escalator stair above me and cut my toe. At first, I thought I just stubbed it, but then it continued to hurt and so I further investigated said injury in the security line only to realize that I was bleeding all over the place (read: all over my shoe). So that was awesome. And the security line was super slow and I OF COURSE did not have any band-aids. And I had to put my bloody shoe in the security bin. That was awkward. Mostly for me. Then, after we made it through the security line I had to high-tail (with my new awkward walk, per the toe slice) to a newsstand to buy band-aids. At which point I went to the bathroom to manage the shoe/toe situation and got weird looks from other women in the bathroom. But I can't say that I blame them. I probably would have looked at someone with their foot in the sink weirdly too. And now I walk like a duck (according to Michael).
Here are other interesting notes about the Milwaukee airport.
1. The end of the security lines where you get all your stuff and put your shoes back on has a sign that says "Recombobulation Area". Which leads me to two further questions--why is there no "Discombobulation Area" sign when you take off your shoes and put your stuff into bins? and why is Milwaukee just making up words?
2. There was this big sign right before you go through security that said, basically, no one is Milwaukee has any idea what they're doing with airport security. I even read this sign like 4 times to be sure that that's what it said, because it seemed like such an odd sign. Basically, it said that Milwaukee is a fail at airport security, which seems like a really odd sign to me to have outside of security. Furthermore, I've never really been a nervous traveler at all, but seeing a sign that says we are a security fail does sort of make you wonder what the heck they did to get that sign.
Last, but not least, the final piece of ridculousness for the day: MPD (the metropolitan police department, for those of you outside the district) mailed a note to my parents that said I had an outstanding parking ticket, because that's still where my car is registered. So two weekends ago I was on my way to brunch with Kate and Clair and my mom called me and was like "You got a parking ticket" and I said "Erroneous! False on all counts! I have only parked legally!". She said "Uh, I got a letter about it" and I said "I will not stand for this personal attack on my integrity! You are slandering my good name!" and I promised to look into it because I really didn't get a parking ticket, so I was understandably surprised to receive a failure to pay notice. I decided to start my investigations on DC's DMV website, which is generally quite helpful. It turns out that people get mystery tickets so often in DC that the solution to the problem is a FAQ. What the heck, DC?! Just issuing mystery tickets all the time?! Not cool. Now I have to write them a letter and explain to them that I am respectfully not paying them $50 because they did not give me a ticket. In yo' face, DC.
No comments:
Post a Comment