Friday, January 21, 2011

Please accept my most humble apologies.

I really thought 2011 was going to the be the year where I got back to sharing my daily adventures and shenanigans on a more consistent and frequent basis, but apparently my graduate program has other ideas.  I will try to not be so sucky about sharing (mis)adventures in Das Capital.  So let's get right into it.


Last weekend was the boy's 30th(!) birthday and to celebrate his sister and her fiancee came to DC.  So Friday we did tons of touristy stuff and then went out to dinner with a big group (but not before crashing Meg's birthday HH).  After the hither and thither of Friday everyone was pretty content to mellow out on Saturday and then we went to Silky O'Tooles to commemorate 30 by drinking as much beer as humanly possible for 3 hours while paying only $15 to do so.  Before I continue in this story, please let me pause for an aside:  almost every single weekend since I started my grad program in July I have lamed out on the bar.  Whereas I used to not even be ready to go when the bar closes, now when 11:30 rolls around I feel suddenly and urgently compelled to get home in the quickest way possible.  Okay, continuing on.  Last Saturday everyone was having fun--lots of people came and went throughout the night.  Finally, I sort of felt like I reached my limit of Silky O'Tooles; it's a really fun bar, don't get me wrong, but we had been there for like 4 hours at this point and most of the friends had departed.  And while I was ready to leave Silky O'Tooles I was, by some miracle of god, not yet ready to go all the way.  I was mostly just interested in some new barography.  So I say, "Hey, most everyone is gone and no one really has a drink.  Do you want to go to another bar, or are you ready to go home?" to the boy.  His reply?  "I've been ready to go home for like an hour!"  (It's especially funny if you imbue this reply with plenty of sass and keep in mind that mere moments before the boy thought a Guiness with a shot of Jameson in it would be a good idea.  He now claims that it was "all downhill from here" and it is my job to "never allow me to do that again".)  So we left.  And thus ended the 30th birthday shenanigans.  

No comments: